What is Italian Biscotti?
You’ve seen what is biscotti on Instagram, in your favorite coffee shop, and maybe even in your grandma’s cookie jar. But what is a biscotti?
Italian Biscotti is a type of cookie that has been made in Italy for centuries. This crunchy cookie has a long and storied history.
A Brief History of Biscotti
Biscotti, also known as cantucci, are thought to have originated in the Tuscan city of Prato. According to legend, a medieval Tuscan Duke asked a local baker to create a biscuit that could sustain his troops on their long marches. The baker came up with a twice-baked cookie that was dry and hard yet still packed with energy-rich almonds.
Italian Biscotti come in all shapes and flavors. The first written record of Biscotti dates back to the 18th century when it was mentioned in an old Italian cookbook! Since then, biscotti have become popular all over the world. But it wasn’t until the 1980s before biscotti rose in popularity here in America. Today, you can find a wide variety of Italian Biscotti in coffee shops, bakeries, and grocery stores from coast to coast.
Types of Biscotti
There are many different types of biscotti, but some of the most popular flavors include:
– Banana Walnut & Chocolate
– Chocolate Almond
– Orange Chocolate Almond
– Double Chocolate
– Double Chocolate Cherry
– Fig Walnut & Chocolate
– Pistachio & Cranberry
– Lemon Biscottini
When it comes to flavors, the possibilities are endless. So get creative!
Serve Biscotti after dinner to accompany drinks such as vin santo, coffee, or tea. Biscotti are also fantastic for breakfast on their own or with a glass of milk!
What Makes Italian Biscotti So Special?
So what makes Italian Biscotti so special? Besides being versatile, they’re made with just a few simple ingredients: flour, sugar, eggs, butter, and almonds. That’s it!
Now that you know a little bit more about this delicious Biscotti, why not give it a try? If you’re feeling adventurous, you can make your own at home.
Here’s an easy Almond Biscotti Recipe
3 Cups all-purpose flour
1 Teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon baking powder
2 XL Egg
1 1/2 Cup sugar
1 Stick of butter
1 Cup whole almonds
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
1 teaspoon of almond extract
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2) Roat almonds for about 12 minutes, then set aside to cool.
3) Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
4) Sift together dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
5) In a mixer, mix sugar and butter.
6) Add egg, one at a time, until well incorporated.
7) Add vanilla and almond extract and mix until combined.
8) Add half the flour and half the roasted almonds and mix until combined. Add remaining flour and almonds and mix.
9) Place dough on the prepared baking sheet and shape it into an 8-inch log—Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
10) Remove from the oven and let cool before cutting diagonally into 1/2-inch pieces. Return sliced Biscotti to the baking sheet and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
11) Let them cool completely before enjoying it!
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks. Enjoy!