Make Your Own Crunchy Biscotti at Home With This Recipe!
Are you a fan of crisp crunchy biscotti but don’t know how to make it at home? Look no further!
In this blog post, we will walk through how to make crisp crunchy biscotti using a simple recipe that is sure to impress. These biscotti cookies are delicious on their own and pair amazingly well with coffee, tea, wine, and even liquor.
But first, let’s talk about biscotti. This type of cookie has a long history dating back to 18th century Italy, where it was originally known as cantucci. Biscotti is made by baking a dough twice, giving it a dry and hard texture that is perfect for dipping in your favorite beverage. It is often flavored with nuts, such as almonds, and can also be filled with chocolate or other tasty treats.
Now, let’s get to the crisp crunchy biscotti recipe. You will need the following ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups almond flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon of salt
1 cup sugar
2 XL Eggs
6 tablespoon shortening – You can use butter (1 stick) but it won’t be as crunchy)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup almonds, chopped (optional – you can also use other nuts or chocolate to mix things up)
You will also need the following tools:
- Mixing bowl
- Electric mixer (or you can mix by hand)
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
Follow these step-by-step instructions to make your own crunchy biscotti:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt into a mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the sugar and shortening until it looks light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time until well combined.
- Add vanilla and almond extract and mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients, nuts, and chocolate, to the mixture and mix until the dough comes together. Do Not Over Mix!
- On a lightly floured surface, shape the dough into a log about 12 inches long and 2 inches wide.
- Place the log on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, and bake for 30 minutes or until firm to the touch.
- Remove the log from the oven and let it cool for about 5 minutes.
- Using a sharp knife, slice the log into biscotti shapes (about 1/2 inch thick).
- Place the sliced biscotti back on the baking sheet and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes or until they are dry, crisp and crunchy.
- Let the biscotti cool completely on the baking sheet.
And there you have it – homemade crisp crunchy biscotti! These biscotti cookies are perfect for dipping in your favorite hot or cold drinks. Try them with a steaming cup of coffee or a refreshing glass of milk. They also pair well with wine, such as a sweet dessert wine like vin santo. For a unique twist, try dipping biscotti in your favorite liquor for a boozy treat.
To add extra crunch to your biscotti, you can try sprinkling them with sugar before baking or adding different nuts or seeds to the dough. The possibilities are endless, so get creative and have fun with your biscotti making!
How to Keep Biscotti Crisp and Crunchy
After your biscotti have cooled completely, it’s important to store them properly to ensure that they remain crisp, crunchy and delicious. Here are a few tips for storing your crunchy biscotti:
- Sealing the biscotti in an airtight bag such as a polypropylene bag after they have cooled to room temperature will help to keep them fresh.
- If you prefer to store your biscotti in a container, choose an airtight container that will keep out any moisture or humidity.
- Don’t freeze biscotti that are baked with shortening. Just keep them at room temperature but in an airtight container. Biscotti that are baked with butter can be frozen, but they may lose some of their crunchiness when thawed.
One of the great things about biscotti is that it can be enjoyed in so many different ways. You can dunk it in your morning coffee or afternoon tea, or even use it as a base for a delicious dessert, such as a biscotti crust for a cheesecake. Biscotti also makes a great gift, so consider making a batch to share with friends and family.
We hope you enjoyed this recipe for crunchy biscotti. Give it a try and share your creations with us on Instagram using the hashtag #CrunchyBiscotti. Happy baking!