Double Chocolate Biscotti Recipe: A Chocolately Delight That’s Sure to Make Your Taste Buds Dance!
Biscotti, oh, how we love thee! The classic Italian cookie that’s been around for over 200 years. The name “biscotto” literally translates to “twice-baked” in Italian, and that’s exactly what these crunchy treats are all about. They were originally made with almonds and enjoyed with a glass of wine, but as they became more popular, other flavors and ingredients were added, including chocolate and cocoa. And here we are to celebrate one of the best variations of biscotti – Double Chocolate Biscotti!
Chocolate and cocoa are the stars of this recipe, and we’re not talking about any old cocoa powder, oh no. There’s natural cocoa powder, which is light in color and has a mild, slightly bitter flavor, and then there’s black cocoa powder, which is dark and intense and will make your taste buds dance with joy. In this recipe, we’re using a blend of both to create a double chocolate explosion in your mouth. The natural cocoa powder provides a delicate chocolate flavor, while the black powder brings intense chocolate goodness. It’s a love affair between chocolate and chocolate, and you’re the lucky one who gets to enjoy it.
And now, it’s time to introduce the secret ingredient – Drumb Roll, Please!!! Espresso is the secret weapon in this recipe, enhancing the chocolate flavor of the biscotti. The strong, bold flavor of espresso complements the chocolatey goodness of the natural and black cocoa powders, creating a delicious and indulgent treat. So please don’t skip it, it makes all the difference.
Making biscotti may seem daunting, but it’s actually a simple process. The key is to follow the instructions closely and be patient. Baking biscotti involves two rounds of baking, first as logs and then as sliced cookies, to achieve its signature crunchy texture.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to bake Double Chocolate Biscotti:
1.5 cup of flour
1.5 cup of almond flour
4 tablespoon shortening (or 1 stick of butter)
1.5 cups of sugar (because love is sweet)
1/2 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup of black cocoa powder
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1/4 teaspoon of course sea salt
3 large eggs
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
1 teaspoon of espresso coffee (the stronger, the better)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper (because we don’t want our biscuits sticking to the pan).
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, black cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt (this is the dry stuff).
- In a separate bowl, beat the sugar and butter together.
- Add the eggs, vanilla extract, and espresso until they’re all happy and combined (this is the wet stuff).
- Pour the wet stuff into the dry stuff and stir until a dough forms (it’s like watching magic happen).
- Divide the dough in half and shape each half into a log about 12 inches long and 2 inches wide. Place the logs on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the logs are firm to the touch. Remove from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes (they need a break too).
- Reduce oven temperature to 325°F (we’re not done yet).
- Using a serrated knife, cut the logs into 1/2 inch thick slices.
- Place the pieces cut-side up on the baking sheet (they should look like little chocolate bricks).
- Bake for an additional 10-15 minutes or until the biscotti are dry and crisp (this is where the magic happens).
- Let the biscotti cool completely on the baking sheet (because who wants to burn their mouth on hot chocolate?).
Tips for making the perfect Double Chocolate Biscotti:
Biscotti making can seem intimidating, but with a few simple tips, you can make the perfect double chocolate biscotti every time! Here are a few tricks to keep in mind while making this delicious recipe.
Proper mixing: When making the dough, make sure to mix the ingredients well. The dough should be well combined, but not over-mixed. Over-mixing can cause the biscotti to be tough and chewy.
Shape the dough correctly: When shaping the dough into logs, make sure they are even in size and shape. This will ensure that the biscotti cook evenly. Also, make sure to press down on the logs slightly to create a flatter surface. This will help them bake evenly and get crispier. You want to avoid domes.
Moisture content: Cocoa powder can be dry and can cause the dough to be crumbly. If you find that your dough is too dry, consider adding an extra egg to help bring more moisture to the batter.
Perfect bake time: Under-baking the first bake can result in crumbly pieces. Make sure to bake the logs for 25 minutes or until they are firm to the touch. And after slicing, bake for an additional 10-12 minutes or until the biscotti are dry and crisp.
Cooling: Letting the biscotti cool completely on the baking sheet will help them firm up and achieve the perfect crunch.
Celebrate the classic Italian treat, biscotti, with a twist! Enjoy the deliciousness of Double Chocolate Biscotti, a blend of natural and black cocoa powder with a secret ingredient, espresso, that will make your taste buds dance. So, go ahead and treat yourself to a delicious glass of wine with a biscotti or two, and don’t miss out on 20% OFF your first biscotti order with promo code 6TX44XTH.
2 thoughts on “Double Chocolate Biscotti Recipe”
As a chocolate lover, this Double Chocolate Biscotti recipe has me drooling! The combination of natural and black cocoa powder, along with the secret ingredient of espresso, sounds like the perfect indulgence. The detailed instructions and helpful tips make it seem easy to try at home. Can’t wait to taste the crunchy, chocolatey goodness!
Hi Hafijur, Thanks so much for leaving a comment on our blog post. I’m thrilled to hear that you’re a fellow chocolate lover and that the Double Chocolate Biscotti recipe has you drooling! It’s definitely one of my favorite indulgences, especially with the added kick of espresso. We’re glad you found the instructions and tips helpful – we really tried to make it easy to follow along. I can’t wait for you to try making it at home and taste the crunchy, chocolatey goodness for yourself! Don’t forget to tag us #Crunchybiscotti
Thanks again for stopping by and happy baking!